Crawford County, Pennsylvania Genealogy
Crawford County, Pennsylvania genealogy and family tree research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources that can help you locate your own Crawford Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Crawford County was established on March 12, 1800 from Allegheny County. The county was named in honor of William Crawford, surveyor who helped to open trans-Appalachian lands to settlement.
Currently the Crawford County Seat is located in Meadville and in addition the county government website is www.crawfordcountypa.net
Counties adjacent to Crawford County are Erie County (north), Warren County (east), Venango County (southeast), Mercer County (south), Trumbull County, Ohio (southwest), Ashtabula County, Ohio (west).
Municipalities situated in Crawford County consist of Townships: Athens, Beaver, Bloomfield, Cambridge, Conneaut, Cussewago, East Fairfield, East Fallowfield, East Mead, Fairfield, Greenwood, Hayfield, North Shenango, Oil Creek, Pine, Randolph, Richmond, Rockdale, Rome, Sadsbury, South Shenango, Sparta, Spring, Steuben, Summerhill, Summit, Troy, Union, Venango, Vernon, Wayne, West Fallowfield, West Mead, West Shenango, Woodcock. Boroughs: Blooming Valley, Cambridge Springs, Centerville, Conneaut Lake, Conneautville, Cochranton, Hydetown, Linesville, Saegertown, Spartansburg, Springboro, Townville, Venango, Woodcock. See also Crawford County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Crawford County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Crawford Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Crawford Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Crawford Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Crawford County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Crawford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Pennsylvania Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Crawford County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Crawford County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Crawford County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Crawford County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Crawford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 903 Diamond Park, Meadville, PA 16335
- Phone: (814) 333-7300
- Crawford County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (814) 373-2537
- Land Records: 1800
- Crawford County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (814) 333-7442
- Court & Divorce Records: 1800
- Crawford County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (814) 373-2537
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1800
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Crawford County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Crawford County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Crawford County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Crawford County genealogy or family history related sites.
Crawford Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Crawford Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- See Also Statewide Newspapers, Books & Publications Links for Pennsylvania
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997) (genealogybank.com) Immediately uncover names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements as well as other items printed in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Brand new content added monthly!
- Titusville Morning Herald (Titusville, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Morning Herald (Titusville, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Centennial edition of the Daily tribune-republican of Saturday morning, May 12th, 1888 (search.ancestry.com)
- Titusville Herald (Titusville, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Crawford County, Pennsylvania Books (amazon.com)
- Pennsylvania Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
- Search Pennsylvania Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Crawford County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Crawford Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Crawford Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Crawford Co. PA Census Records
Crawford Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Crawford Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Crawford Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Crawford Co. PA General and History Websites
- Crawford County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Crawford County, Pennsylvania : containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, villages, schools, churche (search.ancestry.com)
- Our county and its people : a historical and memorial record of Crawford County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- Allegheny--a century of education : 1815-1915 (search.ancestry.com)
- Crawford County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Crawford Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Crawford County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Crawford (cyndislist.com)
- Crawford County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Crawford Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Crawford County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Crawford County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Crawford Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Crawford Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Crawford Co. PA Military Records
Crawford Co. PA Schools & Directories
- Titusville and Meadville cities and Crawford County directory, 1897-98 (search.ancestry.com)
- Titusville directory, 1896 (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of Crawford County, Pa. for 1871-72 : comprising a list of all residents, together with historical sketches of the co (search.ancestry.com)
- Titusville directory, 1895 : containing a general directory of the inhabitants, a classified business directory, street direct (search.ancestry.com)
- Directory of Titusville, Penn., 1887-88 (search.ancestry.com)
- Gazetteer and business directory of Crawford County, Pa. for 1874 (search.ancestry.com)